Ok, if you follow Tyler Perry on Twitter or Facebook, you would know that he is big into giving back and giving folks a voice. Well, Tyler Perry went above and beyond to promote engagement to his website, YouTube Channel, Facebook page and Twitter feed by conducting a talent search called The Tyler Perry Talent Search. But the genius part of this contest was that Tyler announced the winner on the opening day of his new feature film “Madea’s Witness Protection”.
Can you say a life changing status message.
From Tyler Perry’s YouTube Channel, you see Darmirra’s winning entry. Out of 16, 000 entries of Tyler Perry’s talent search, her entry made it to the top 10.
So as I learn a little more about Darmirra from her YouTube Channel here are 5 social media takeways entertainers can gain from Darmirra’s story.
1. She has a strong fan base established. Currently, Darmirra’s YouTube Channel has over 25,000 subscribers and 3.6 Million video views. She actually has more subscribers and video views than Tyler Perry’s YouTube Channel.
2. She’s not afraid to start over. With over 3 Million views, you would think she has been at this for a while. And she has, but Darmirra saw a need to change some things around. She mentions in a Q& A video (link below) that she had a previous YouTube channel that was up for 2 years with only a thousand subscribers. But she didn’t give up. She started a new YouTube Channel (her current one) that in 5 months has the subscriber following she has now.
3. She concentrates on her niche social media network. With over 25,000 subscribers, she still finds time to engage with her followers. Her niche social media outlet is YouTube. Her Facebook and Twitter following serve as a mechanism to draw viewers to her YouTube channel.
4. She uses the tools that are in her hands. Because Darmirra is an actor/comedienne, I admire how she concentrates on the medium that is best in getting her message across. Using YouTube and utilizing editing tools is a cost effective way to get her craft noticed. She was already prepared to shine when the opportunity called.
5. She’s letting people in on the ride. I found a video on Darmirra’s YouTube Channel that sums up how artists can successfully utilize social media — by showing their human side. The vulnerability factor is a huge draw. It’s one that a lot of people miss out on in trying to be super human. There is a difference in being personable and being private. And I believe Darmirra has mastered that balance well.
Im in my Nissan Sentra with the bumper off but for SOME reason I feel like I’m in a Benz! Im riden round and Im #GettinIt
— Darmirra Brunson (@DarmirraBrunson) July 6, 2012
Tweets, videos and interactions like this are part of her back story and folks will be rooting for her as she is on the stage, tv, or big screen in one of Tyler Perry’s productions.
So to Ms. Darmirra Brunson, CONGRATULATIONS and enjoy this new chapter!
Darmirra Brunson on Twitter: @darmirrabrunson
Darmirra Brunson on Facebook: Darmirra Brunson (Princess of Comedy)
Check out Tyler Perry’s Talent Search Top 10 on YouTube: Tyler Perry Studios
Darmirra Brunson Q&A Episode 3: Click Here
How are you putting yourself in position to capture the next phase in your creative or entrepreneurial venture? How are you utilizing social media to do that? Would love to hear. Please leave a comment below.